TRAVEL TIPS & SECURITY
SHOPPING & SERVICES
SKYPORT AIRPORT DESIGN
At 21 square miles, the entire UK overseas territory of Bermuda is smaller than some of the world’s larger airports. Located 560 miles east of Cape Hattaras, Bermuda depends on its airport (BDA/TXKF) for much of its contact with the outside world.
The airport can support aircraft of all sizes up to and including the A380. It is a NASA Space Shuttle launch-abort site that could be used during low- and mid-inclination launches. Facilities include both a passenger and a cargo terminal as well as an airport hangar constructed in 1995.
The first facility on the site now occupied by L.F. Wade International Airport was built between 1941 and 1943 as a joint US Army Air Forces (USAAF) and Royal Air Force (RAF) base, Kindley Field. At the end of World War II, the RAF left Bermuda. The field, by then hosting civil as well as military aircraft, was operated by the United States Air Force as Kindley Air Force Base until 1970, when it was transferred to the United States Navy. The US Navy operated it as US Naval Air Station, Bermuda until 1995, when it was transferred to the Bermuda Government’s Ministry of Tourism and Transport. In 2007, it was renamed as L.F. Wade International Airport in honour of L. Frederick Wade, a prominent Bermudian politician. In 2017, the Government of Bermuda signed an agreement with Canadian Commercial Corp, Aecon, to build a new airport at Stone Crusher Corner. This agreement leases L.F. Wade International Airport to Bermuda Skyport Corporation Limited, owned by Aecon, until 2047 when the new airport will revert to the Government of Bermuda.
Today, L.F. Wade International Airport offers service to fourteen destinations in Europe, Canada and the U.S., including travel hubs such as London, New York, Miami and Toronto. The airport is served by Air Canada, American Airlines, British Airways, United, Delta Airlines, JetBlue, AirTran, Westjet and US Airways.